Monday, December 31, 2007

Wanting to be the best parent I can be

Little Bit was having a rough day yesterday. He would go from hyper, laughing, spinning around in a circle with his arms out, to crying and whining. I said to DH, "Tell the truth -- how much sugar and caffeine did you give him?" DH laughed and denied it. Maybe Little Bit is teething. I gave him some Motrin, but that didn't seem to help.

Unfortunately, I was having a rough day too. I had very little patience. I so want to be patient and loving all the time, but I'm human too. Little Bit has been my first experience with newborns and now with toddlers. When growing up, I didn't have younger cousins or neighbors around. DH thinks it's very endearing how I have diligently "researched", starting from when I was pregnant. I have read many books, trying to gain some insight.

Overall, I think DH and I are doing pretty well so far. Little Bit is very loving and secure. But, like any toddler, he doesn't have the words yet to express all the big emotions in his little body. I didn't have the patience yesterday, but thankfully, DH did. I took out one of my new books last night, called Positive Discipline, to remind myself of what I strive towards. As the author says, mistakes are a great opportunity to learn. Once, when the author's toddler was whining so much that she felt like spanking him, she instead crouched down and gave him a big hug. He got the attention he wanted, and they both felt better.

2 comments:

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

I feel ya, sister.

Actually, the best book I've read though was Confessions of a Slacker Mom because it made me realize that we're all learning as we go and in the end they're going to survive even if we aren't always the most patient parents ever.

Avonlea said...

I'll have to check that one out. Actually, I vaguely recall that my dad gave me that book while I was pregnant! LOL!

Yep, it's a good thing human babies are so resiliant.