Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Meltdowns and Wildflowers

Little Bit has started having a complete meltdown as opposed to snuggling up to me when he gets home from daycare. He smiles and holds out his arms for me as DH brings him inside the house like usual, but between then and the few seconds it takes for DH to remove his shoes, he just runs "out of good". Lil' Bit throws himself down onto the floor and cries and cries. I ask him if he wants various things to try to find out what's wrong, but he just keeps answering, "No!" I guess he's just tired and overstimulated/overwhelmed from his day. I hope that he starts learning to communicate those feelings soon. It's hard sometimes to see him so overwhelmed and feel powerless to help him.

If he's not too overtired, we can manage to distract him from his meltdown. "Where's your left foot?" I'll ask him. He gleefully holds up a leg, sometimes the correct one, sometimes not. We also discovered that pulling up your shirt and playing your belly like a drum elicits laughs; he will copy you by pulling up his shirt and pounding on his belly. Distraction, distraction, distraction.

On Saturday, DH and I got an afternoon "off". Friends came over for a babysitting playdate. DH and I were going to go to a movie, but couldn't agree on one. Instead, we decided to window shop in old town League City. Before we got there though, we made a quick stop at two children's resale shops. Yes, it was our date time, and we still couldn't get completely away from parenting. *laugh*

League City is very much a small Texas town, even though it's right next to NASA and the big city of Houston. There is a strip of fun little shops in Victorian houses in the old part of town. Browsing the old town shops and buying a few things was wonderfully relaxing. The shops were so *not* child-friendly with all the fascinating and breakable items on every surface. We returned home with our prizes (some yummy Almond Cream coffee and lovely lavender soap for me).

I ordered some Texas/Oklahoma wildflower seeds from Native American seeds. The seeds arrived yesterday. When I told DH that I had gotten several specific kinds of seeds, as well as the "Texas-Oklahoma Native Roadside Mix" of wildflower seeds, he said [thick Southern drawl] "Ah-round he-ah, we call dem weeds." [end thick Southern drawl]

No comments: