Monday, January 28, 2008

Note to Self and Thoughts on Paradise

Do not eat after the baby anymore so at least there will be a chance, however small, of me not getting sick at the exact time he does. If I have to get sick every time he does, the next 16+ years before he heads off to college are going to be full of sick days.

It so sucks trying to take care of a sick child while feeling like death warmed over. Little Bit was attached to my hip or boob most of last week and over the weekend. The daycare ladies are going to have a time with him today.
------------
On other notes...
I caught "The Blue Lagoon" on cable last week while I was sick. I was too young when it first came out to see it and hadn't seen it yet. I thought it was actually kind of a sweet movie (leaving aside the ending which totally didn't make sense). There is something appealing about the romantic idea of casting off society and living in paradise with just your mate and your child. Though the scary part is that if someone gets hurt, you're going to be in serious trouble. And I know that I like my luxuries too much -- no cable? no internet? no chocolate?!? Well, that, plus Little Bit and I would be fried to a crisp without vast quantities of sunscreen.

Oh, man, the tropical scenery of the movie makes me want to go back to Hawaii. It's been a few years since we were there on our honeymoon. *le sigh* The blues of the water, the warm sand, the colorful fish, the rich greens of the foliage, and the sound of the gentle rains before dawn are all still vivid to me. DH took a picture of me relaxing after our morning snorkel one day, and I have such a contented look on my face. Living on "island time", you have to slow down.

We want to go back to Hawaii soon. Taking Little Bit along will definitely change the experience. I think we'd see about getting a local babysitter sometimes, but mostly it would be fun to swim with him in the ocean and show him the sights. Is it crazy to consider flying 9+ hours with a toddler?

While surfing the net, I found out about a guy named Tom Neale who lived by himself on a deserted South Pacific island for 16 years (over three different trips). He wrote a book about it. Interesting. However, if you look at the dates on Wikipedia, he left his wife, his four-year-old and his three-year-old for three and a half years on the island, then came back to civilization for awhile, then left for the island again when his oldest child was ten. That time he stayed for ten years. Great father, huh?

No comments: